As the owner of (or manager at) a business, you probably hire consultants and/or contractors on either a regular or occasional basis. So the question becomes: Should you background screen those persons?
To help you determine if it’s worth your while to put contractors/consultants through background screening before allowing them to work with your company, ask yourself these questions:
- Will this individual have access to any confidential data while working with you?
- Will this individual be handling money?
- If this individual has a questionable background, could it affect the way your company is perceived?
- By the outside world, will this individual be thought of as an “employee” of your company, despite his or her contractor/consultant status?
- Will this individual have keys to your location?
- Will this individual have a work station at your location?
- Will this individual be working with your company for an extended period of time?
If you answered “yes” to at least one of the questions above, it’s a good idea for you to consider getting your contracted employee background checked for the safety of your company’s reputation, your clients, your company and your team.